The 150th Running of the Kentucky Derby

#1hoosierfan

DIS Veteran
So, I am an Indiana gal, but could not be any closer to Louisville, Kentucky. Churchill Downs, where they run the Derby is about 20 minutes from my house.

We have been “partying” here for 2 weeks. It starts with Thunder over Louisville… one of the biggest/biggest air and fireworks shows in the nation. Many schools were off today for the Oaks race. It used to be the “locals day at the race” but that has now become crazy commercial too. Thurby became a thing years ago (Thursday) but is now quite crowded too. Many locals are starting to go even earlier in the week… dresses, hats, the works. It’s a super fun week.

So, do you watch the Derby? Have you ever attended?

I first learned about the Kentucky Derby from reading my Thoroughbred horse book series and the more I read about the Kentucky Derby the exciting it sounded and I always liked learning about the different horses and learning their names. Is the Kentucky Oaks the series for fillies? Because from learning from my Thoroughbred books there is about three races for fillies which are the Kentucky Oaks the Mother Goose Stakes and the Ashland Stakes. And some of the stories of the past winners of the Kentucky Derby really intrigued me because they were true champions. Does anyone remember when Winning Colors became the first filly ever to win the 1988 Kentucky Derby? Winning Colors made history that year and she was a true champion

I do not watch it or follow horse racing, but I’d love to go one day.
Have fun today! 🙂

I used to work the Derby for the television station I was employed at. My first was 1997(?) and my last was 2022. Yes, I was there the crowd wasn't allowed because of Covid. I would not go as a fan, especially paying. Of course, I'm not a big drinker either, and while I enjoy people watching, I can't imagine spending a day there without having to.

I did usually get to watch the race either trackside (turn 1 or turn 2) or the roof.

Usually watch the actual race but the TV show starts way too early and they just talk about stuff that doesn't interest me to fill up the time. No interest in ever seeing in person. Apparently they run other races but to be there for all that time to see a 3 minute race isn't my idea of entertainment.

We got married on Kentucky derby day, our favors were otb tickets, had the guests sign them and put them in a box, winners were mailed cash with their thank you note.

Usually watch the actual race but the TV show starts way too early and they just talk about stuff that doesn't interest me to fill up the time. No interest in ever seeing in person. Apparently they run other races but to be there for all that time to see a 3 minute race isn't my idea of entertainment.
Shoot, you could be there all day and not even see a horse, much less a race. I think there are 12-13 races through the day. Gates open at 8am, first race around 10(?). Derby goes off at 7p, and there's 1-2 races after..

Oh,, and the Derby race is about 2 minutes.

I live in Louisville, so right in the middle of things. I only went to the Derby once when I was in college. I have been to Oaks lots of times. It's a very fun atmosphere.

I live fairly close to the WEC (World Equestrian Center) and they have a massive show ring with jumbotrons showing the race. Since many Derby horses can trace their roots to Marion County, Fl., it's a big deal.

I'll watch once the pre-race gets to about 1/2 hour before the chutes open.

I live 5 minutes, about 2 miles from the race. And I would rather leave town today than go to the race. The road closures are driving me crazy. I guess I live close enough that derby is more annoying than fun.

My first house was even closer to the track, about 3 blocks.

I live 5 minutes, about 2 miles from the race. And I would rather leave town today than go to the race. The road closures are driving me crazy. I guess I live close enough that derby is more annoying than fun.

My first house was even closer to the track, about 3 blocks.
Did you park cars on your lawn when you lived closer? I would imagine that would be quite lucrative this past week. The road closures would be annoying.

I have no desire to go to the Derby. My former in-laws had a box for Oaks and Derby forever. We went to Oaks every year, but the Derby only twice. My ex and I preferred to stay home and have a party instead.

May the Horse be with you on this May 4th.

Brother-in-law and his wife and family all live in Louisville. They don't go, but they do have an annual Derby party.

They usually run about 10-12 races a day on the card. The Kentucky Derby is race 12 on a 14 race schedule this year. Races started at 10:30. Post time is 6:57 for the derby but note that I have yet to see in all my days a race card finish on time. That said tickets are very expensive on Derby Day. The prices would even make Disney Blush. I think infield SRO (no guarantee to actually see the track) were $80 pre sale $120 after. LOL 120 to watch on a big screen and pay $20 for a mint julep. Frontside walk around passes are something like $700 but had Oaks day thrown in with them. Bleachers? $850. And if you have to ask how much the more expensive options are, you aren't Derby fiber. Everything is of course cheaper pre sale and some categories sell out at pre sale. So if you're ever going to go, plan ahead. Oh and hotel prices.... Fugettaboutit.

All in all, if you just want to experience horse racing, just go on a non Kentucky Derby or Oaks day. It's far far cheaper, And all you'll miss the 3 year old Triple crown contending horses. But you'll see some good horse racing.

Last edited:
Did you park cars on your lawn when you lived closer? I would imagine that would be quite lucrative this past week. The road closures would be annoying.

I have no desire to go to the Derby. My former in-laws had a box for Oaks and Derby forever. We went to Oaks every year, but the Derby only twice. My ex and I preferred to stay home and have a party instead.
No, too much hill in our front yard at that house. Our neighbor would walk to the track though. And the street was always full.

All in all, if you just want to experience horse racing, just go on a non Kentucky Derby or Oaks day. It's far far cheaper, And all you'll miss the 3 year old Triple crown contending horses. But you'll see some good horse racing.
For Kentucky horse racing, Keeneland in Lexington can't be beat. It's just beautiful. They've been improving the looks of Churchill for 15-20 years, and it has gotten better, but I still think Keeneland is a notch above.

It's about 90 minutes from Churchill.

DD did her masters at University of Louisville. She initially lived in historic district (which would have been sweet) but moved before Derby further out. We went up for Derby weekend one year but went to the Oaks race, cost less, less crazy but still got to enjoy Churchill Downs, all the outfits and the drinks. I like the Oaks Lily, I think Mint Juleps are gross. We have gone to Churchill Downs a few times other than Derby weekend. It was at one of those races I decided I would not attend any more horse races.

One year I went by myself to visit her for Thunder as I love fireworks. WOW, I've never seen anything like it!! She worked for the Bats (minor league baseball team) so I spent the day in the stadium. After the games some of the employees (and me) went on the roof of the building in the outfield to watch Thunder. It was like we could touch the planes and the fireworks on the bridges. Amazing!!!

For Kentucky horse racing, Keeneland in Lexington can't be beat. It's just beautiful. They've been improving the looks of Churchill for 15-20 years, and it has gotten better, but I still think Keeneland is a notch above.

It's about 90 minutes from Churchill.
I agree. Keenland is absolutely gorgeous. Love it.
DD did her masters at University of Louisville. She initially lived in historic district (which would have been sweet) but moved before Derby further out. We went up for Derby weekend one year but went to the Oaks race, cost less, less crazy but still got to enjoy Churchill Downs, all the outfits and the drinks. I like the Oaks Lily, I think Mint Juleps are gross. We have gone to Churchill Downs a few times other than Derby weekend. It was at one of those races I decided I would not attend any more horse races.

One year I went by myself to visit her for Thunder as I love fireworks. WOW, I've never seen anything like it!! She worked for the Bats (minor league baseball team) so I spent the day in the stadium. After the games some of the employees (and me) went on the roof of the building in the outfield to watch Thunder. It was like we could touch the planes and the fireworks on the bridges. Amazing!!!
Thunder Over Louisville is amazing. My best friend lives in a big house on the river (Indiana side) so she has a party and gives us a parking pass for the day. We love it.

So, I am an Indiana gal, but could not be any closer to Louisville, Kentucky. Churchill Downs, where they run the Derby is about 20 minutes from my house.

We have been “partying” here for 2 weeks. It starts with Thunder over Louisville… one of the biggest/biggest air and fireworks shows in the nation. Many schools were off today for the Oaks race. It used to be the “locals day at the race” but that has now become crazy commercial too. Thurby became a thing years ago (Thursday) but is now quite crowded too. Many locals are starting to go even earlier in the week… dresses, hats, the works. It’s a super fun week.

So, do you watch the Derby? Have you ever attended?
I'm going to watch the Derby on NBC after I finish watching the Premier League coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter