Mattress recommendations for HOT sleepers?

MissMet

DIS Veteran
We are in desperate need of a new mattress but can’t commit for fear of making the wrong decision. Big thing is it has to sleep cool. I sleep with a fan & window cracked in winter…much to my husband’s chagrin…because I typically sleep so hot. Most of these “mattresses in a box” sleep hot and even the ones that claim to sleep cool have reviews saying they’re hot. I’m open to any type, coil, hybrid, etc but I need it COOL to sleep. I have an old-school style coil spring now that I love but it’s so old & broken down it’s killing my lower back. Thank you in advance!!

We are in desperate need of a new mattress but can’t commit for fear of making the wrong decision. Big thing is it has to sleep cool. I sleep with a fan & window cracked in winter…much to my husband’s chagrin…because I typically sleep so hot. Most of these “mattresses in a box” sleep hot and even the ones that claim to sleep cool have reviews saying they’re hot. I’m open to any type, coil, hybrid, etc but I need it COOL to sleep. I have an old-school style coil spring now that I love but it’s so old & broken down it’s killing my lower back. Thank you in advance!!
I live in Florida, so sleeping cool is a must! I have found that a firm mattress, without any pillowtop or extra plushiness, works best. If the mattress allows me to sink into it in any way, I get hot. If I sleep on top of the mattress, I stay cooler.

Comfort wise I do prefer a plusher mattress, but I finally decided the tradeoff in staying cooler wasn’t worth it. I also go to try out mattresses in person, rather than buying online, so I know what I am getting before it arrives.

Good luck on your hunt. I know it’s not an easy one.

I also sleep hot. I have a tower fan on my side of the bed. My husband is the complete opposite and sleeps cold. It's a constant battle of the fan, windows open (yes, in the winter) and AC. I already have the AC running. Live in GA and it's already hot and humid. We bought an adjustable bed a couple of years ago with Beauty Rest mattresses. It helps with my back. The beauty rest mattresses are thick. I use a little step stool to get into bed. I am short. My BIL and his wife recently bought a sleep number bed that has a cooling feature in it. That sounds interesting to me. But the price! The did get the top of the line with all the bells and whistles for $15k. I'd never pay that. Maybe it's possible to get that cooling feature at a better price point?

Last edited:
I don't have any advice on what to buy. But I say avoid memory foam. Even the ones that say 'cooling' don't seem cool to me. We have a Tempurpedic and it's comfortable....but definitely makes me overheat more than I'd like. I'm following this thread because when it comes times for a new mattress, I want something cooler too.

We just got new mattresses and went with Beautyrest coil. We tried hybrid but we found the foam to be too hot. Love our new mattresses.

Hot sleeper here too, plain old school coil is my choice. All those new squishy foam things look like they'll hold heat and would make me extra miserable, synthetics hold heat so only cotton for bedding and such, maybe bamboo.

If they had bedding with air that flows through like you can get in cars then that, otherwise, I'd stick with simple.

I had a 2" mattress topper that was claimed to be cool. Nope.

So, I finally got rid of it and have a coil based firm mattress with a cool mattress pad, sheets, pillowcases and two (2) cool pillows (Columbia brand is outstanding). I got an ultra-lightweight comforter which is the only thing that I sleep under.

I run a tower fan next to my window A/C to blow the cold air directly on me. I live in central Florida, sleep hot and it will run this way until early December.

We have a tempurpedic cool breeze, or whatever it’s called. I also have sheets that keep me cool as well. I have the ceiling fan on which helps. Meanwhile my husband has all the blankets on.

I had a 2" mattress topper that was claimed to be cool. Nope.

So, I finally got rid of it and have a coil based firm mattress with a cool mattress pad, sheets, pillowcases and two (2) cool pillows (Columbia brand is outstanding). I got an ultra-lightweight comforter which is the only thing that I sleep under.

I run a tower fan next to my window A/C to blow the cold air directly on me. I live in central Florida, sleep hot and it will run this way until early December.

Is all your bedding Columbia? I need to find a good mattress pad. Needs to be waterproof though as I sometimes drink coffee in bed and I'm paranoid about spilling.

Is all your bedding Columbia? I need to find a good mattress pad. Needs to be waterproof though as I sometimes drink coffee in bed and I'm paranoid about spilling.

Mattress pad: Sealy Elite Cool Touch (it's fantastic, but don't think it's waterproof)
Pillow: Columbia Super Cool Comfort Memory Foam Pillow

I’ve had great luck with the cool touch foam mattress toppers, but from comments above, it seems like those might be hit or miss depending on the brand. Definitely not regular foam. It does get so hot.

There’s also a brand of cooling blankets. I can’t remember the name, but I used to use them in Hong Kong, and they were amazing. Maybe try googling for those.

Not a mattress, but my friend and her husband swear by a Bed Jet to keep her cool at night. It's hard for me to describe but you can look up Bed Jet to see what it is. I'm considering one.

I sleep with a dog cooling mat from Aldi under my sheets. My next mattress I am definitely going to try to find one that isn't so hot!

I switched to a hybrid mattress with gel-infused memory foam, and it's been a game-changer. It sleeps cool and provides great support. Maybe give that a try?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter