Is there "magic" at Disneyland?

BluOrchid2

<font color=deeppink>Princess Aurora's Mommy<br><f
I truly understand and agree that WDW, the Magic Kingdom especially, is a magical place. When I'm there, I don't feel like I'm in Florida, or in the United States, or even anywhere else on earth. I feel like I'm in a wonderful fantasyland.

I've been considering a trip to DL, but wonder if I'll feel the same magic there. I mean, it's right in the middle of city. It's not nearly as big and "insulated" from the rest of the surrounding area. Do you get the same magical feeling when you visit DL as you do in WDW?

What they learned from building Disneyland, they used at WDW. Because it is in an urban area and views of Anaheim would spoil the illusion, they went out of their way to minimize any visual clues that there is a place outside of Disneyland. They do the same thing at WDW with the use of berms and trees both in the parks and the ersort hotels.

One needs a very high vantage point in Disneyland to be able to see any buildings outside of the immediate park. that would be places like Tarzan's Treehouse or Splash Mountain just before one drops into the Briar Patch.

California Adventure is different. The Paradise pier area is very close to the Convention Center and you can see lots of buildings that are not part of the resort.

If anything, the "magic" at least to me, is more for some of the reasons mentioned in your other thread. Walt actually was there in the park and rode on the rides. fantasyland is much better than the Magic Kingdom. The castle may be the only "let down" to those very familar with WDW's Magic Kingdom. It is small. It is a more intimate park, because land was relatively scarce, so it is not so wide open... especially the area of the central hub.

One might make the argument that it is even MORE magical, because you know what is only 1/4 of a mile away.

A much more appropriate question would be will you still feel the magic at WDW's MK after visiting Disneyland.

There's really no comparison. One-on-one, DL has MK beat in just about any comparison, especially "magic".

Excellent question! Well, sorry to say but I didn't think "the magic" at Disneyland was any where near "the magic" of DisneyWorld and neither did our kids. Disneyland is in the middle of a city and you know it the minute you get there. The setting is total opposite of DW. I couldn't believe the difference in locations, there is no where to expand unless they buy bulidings and bring them down. If we had never gone to DisneyWorld and went to DL first, then maybe we would have felt different. I love Disney but the "World" is just that! Walt had the right idea the second time around....IMHO.

RobinLyn:D

Originally posted by el_tigre
A much more appropriate question would be will you still feel the magic at WDW's MK after visiting Disneyland.

There's really no comparison. One-on-one, DL has MK beat in just about any comparison, especially "magic".

I agree wholeheartedly! (read my tag......)

We too are frequent WDW visitors, and we had the BEST time at DL this Thanksgiving. We stayed at the DL hotel, so we were totally immersed in the *Disney Magic*......none of the *outside influences* that remind you that you are in the city.....I wouldn't do it any other way!

Hm... Disneyland or Disneyland Paris - I just can't decide which one my favorite is. I love WDW, but the Magic Kingdom just isn't the same as either one of these two parks.

Disneyland - the one overseen by Walt Disney himself for more than a decade

Disneyland Paris - the largest and most elaborately themed Magic Kingdom of them all

(Note: I have not yet visited any of the Tokyo parks, the Walt Disney Studios Paris or Disney's California Adventure)

Disnee Dad Says..............................I have been to DL several times. As much as I love it, and it has the Matterhorn, a twice as long Pirates that is much better, Blue Bayou for a fantastic meal, and a 5 hour It's a small world( maybe it just seems that long), but it just doesn't have the same magic. When we go to DL, we also see US or Sea World, or go to the San Diego Wildlife Park.
When we travel cross country we only see WDW.
By all means, come and see it and enjoy it, but it will just be different from MK, not magical.

We visited Disneyland 6 months after our first family vacation to WDW and we loved it! We stayed across the street at a non-Disney hotel and within a 5 minute walk we were at the gates to Disneyland, DCA and Downtown Disney. My boys still talk about that trip and ask when we can go back. We spent 3 days at the 2 parks and ate at Goofy's Kitchen. You really can't compare Disneyland to WDW but I felt the magic was definately there!:D

I grew up going to DL for day trips and I DO love that park. Different feeling going there though because it was always for one day, not for a week like WDW. Rides there you won't find at WDW, like Indy (better than Dinosaur), Alice, Matterhorn. There are many differences in the rides that are both places that is fun to experience. Worth a trip but don't go expecting FL.

Heidi

I had those same concerns when I visted Disneyland. I definitely agree with some of the earlier posts that mentioned the fact that Walt actually visited this park. He walked around in it. He rode the rides. That gives it a special bit of magic that that Florida will never have.

However, when you go over to the California Adventure . . . that's a different story. I enjoyed my time there, but it really didn't feel very "Disney" to me. However, I don't think it has as much to do with the location in the city as it has to do with the entire concept of the park. It just doesn't work with me for some reason.

We really loved the Disneyland's Small World. And the whole New Orleans Square area was very pretty. Be sure to give the Blue Bayou a try if you go for big, table service meals.

I just got back from my first visit to Disneyland after several trips to WDW...and I can say that I thought there was plenty of magic at DL...I loved it!

Took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour (highly recommended!) and really got a sense of the magic of the place....

Granted it is on a much smaller scale than MK...but it had a great feeling...you never felt like you were in a city at all...I would say if you get the chance...go! You will never regret it...it is an incredible place :)

BTW...I need to express what I believe is a minority opinion here...My wife and I really enjoyed California Adventure...after hearing the reports on this place, I was expecting to hate it, and considered not going at all...I am glad I did...
Don't get me wrong...it isn't as magic as Disneyland...but as an amusement park, it holds up nicely..Loved Soarin' Over California, California Screamin', the Maliboomer, the Sun Wheel, Grizzly River Run, and Who Wants to Be a Millionare-Play It! (did that one 4 times--never got into the Hotseat...Grrr)

I can see that it still is a work in progress...but there is some hope there (and the fact that it was much less crowded was a bonus...The one thing I would get rid of is the Carny-style games on Paradise Pier...I know they are trying to go for a theme...but they don't seem right in a Disney Park...

Like I said DCA is not a destination park...but as an alternative to DL when it gets crowded, or you need a change...it works quite nicely...
Sorry this is so long...I just wanted to get that in...I've heard so many bad things about the place--I wanted to offer my 2 cents...I didn't think it was that bad at all....

Have a good one!

Periodically, somebody will post a poll that asks people to pick their favorite of the six domestic parks. For those who have been to both WDW and DL, the most popular choice is always DL. So clearly, there IS Magic at DL, and for most people, its the most Magical park of all.

However, if you are comparing the two RESORTS, and looking for isolation from the outside world, there is just no way DLR can compare to WDW. DCA and the new DD area does provide some insulation for the resort. 10 years ago, DL really was a park in the middle of a city. Now, its much more. But there just isn't the space to isolate itself like WDW can.

If you want as much isolation as possible, stay at the Grand Californian, and you can pretty much avoid any contact with the outside world. But if instead you opt to stay off-site, you aren't going to have that isolated feel for your whole trip.

While inside DL, its not like you can see the outside world all of the time. On the contrary, things have been constructed in a way to isolate you as much as possible. But again, they just don't have the space to isolate the entire resort like WDW can.

So, I'd recommend giving DLR a try, and staying on-site if at all possible. But if your going to stay any longer than 4 or 5 days or so, definitely schedule some other things in the SoCal area, like the other theme parks, Hollywood, the beach, Beverly Hills, etc. The trade-off for the lower level of isolation is that there are many more things to do and see in the area besides DLR.

I had the good fortune of spending a day at DL this October. I have to agree with everything TheLionKing said - and not just because he graced me with his presence at lunch. ;) For me, just knowing that Walt was there is such an incredible feeling. I love the way they opened the park with his dedication of DL. I love the way the light is burning for him above the fire station. I love seeing his initials in the iron work on the balcony of the Disney Gallery. I love how small, charming and intimate the park is. It is REALLY where the magic began!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter